Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Fear of Embarrassment.

Without a doubt I am embarrassmentphobic. I could theorize for hours on why I am like this. I guess my father's treatment of me as a child has something to do with it. The truth is I will go to any extent to avoid embarrassment. Tonight I was at the gym. Tonight I was leaving the gym. The man working in the cafeteria said goodbye. I turned to respond politely. I turned back to walk on. I knocked over a sign. A sign of a matching pair. The sign stood about 1 meter high. It fell. It landed hard on the ground. It made a loud noise. The people waiting in the cafe all turned and looked at me. The looked hard and fast. The top of the sign smashed and broke off. I focused immediately on the ground and the mess I had made. I ignored the people sitting in the cafe. I ignored the barman. I could feel the heat of everyone's stares piercing my reddening flesh. I picked up the top part that had broken off. I placed it down on a table. I focused on the ground in front of me. I walked out. I walked strong and in denial. Now I am worried. How will I show my face there again? Will everybody remember me? How could I not even say sorry. Embarrassment turns to guilt. I know this will keep me awake.

No comments: