Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Netherlands to ban the burqa.

As read here - "Dutch Muslims condemn burqa ban" (BBC), it is clearly obvious that this is a rather contentious issue. On one side it is seen as a violation of human rights not to be allowed to observe ones own customs and beliefs, but is it not a violation of my human rights not to feel safe where I live and know who I am in contact with? Anyone who knows me would know that I am not racist nor do I not accept people just for being who they are. However I do feel on this issue that in a time where public safety is put at risk every day by terrorists and extremists, that maybe the Dutch government does have a point. As stated, the new law will also mean that people will not be able to wear helmets with visors or hats or veils where the face can not be clearly seen, in public. I remember once being asked to take off my Nike cap when I walked in to a store as security said it would obscure my face from security cameras - at the time I was rather annoyed, but that's because the hat was covering up my bad hair that day. However, just like the longer waits at airport security and increased security checks at night clubs etc. it might be annoying at the time, but I'm happy at the end of the day that my safety and the well being of others is still a priority. It's unfortunate that it has come to this, but that is the way it has to be - the safety of the majority is more important than the beliefs of the minorities.
I do look forward to a day when we can all live without fear and accept with enthusiasm individual difference. I just don't think it's going to be in my life time.

Want to have your say? Click Here.

No comments: