Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How can a melted candle say so much?

Well this is what the heat has done to my candle.
Especially after today when we hit a high of 33 degrees!

Funny thing is - this image says so much about right now...

1. This relentless heat has left me feeling much like the candle looks. I'm so shattered from not sleeping and generally just feeling washed out. This morning it was just before 5am that I eventually fell asleep - not very conducive to a productive work ethic.
2. Greg's grandma died today. Obviously this has left him feeling like he to has been knocked over.

It's just over three years since our last visit home to Australia and I know he is feeling guilty about that. Of course this type of situation evokes a whole plethora of thoughts and emotions... Do you just stay at home and never leave to live your own life just in case someone that you love and care for dearly dies? How happy is that person, even when they say it doesn't bother them about you being away from home for so long? Why has it been three years since we have been home?

The only question I have been able to answer so far is the last one. I don't know about Greg, but for me not going home is about not having to say goodbye. I'm completely torn about leaving behind the people that are most precious to me and everything I have left Australia and the one time my Mum left Scotland, I felt like my insides had been torn out. I love the life I am living over here in Europe, but everyday I loathe being so far away from the people I love. It's much easier being away now - you get used to it. Of course I still get homesick, but the feeling doesn't last as long as it used to. On the other hand, saying goodbye/see you later, is a whole different story. I love my family and friends just as much today as I did the day I left - in fact maybe even a little more as it's easy to take people for granted when you regularly see them. However hanging up a phone and logging out of Skype is so much easier than holding tight to and then letting go of someone you love.

I hope Greg is ok with saying goodbye to his grandma. Life sucks, but death sucks more!

No comments: